I love giving gifts. It's one of my biggest love languages, which makes Christmas my favorite holiday ever. But as the years go by, it can be a bit of a struggle to find the perfect gift for everyone. Let's be honest, many of us are very blessed and there's not much that we truly "need" for Christmas, our birthdays, or other special events. And so, the constant dilemma: how do you give a meaningful, fun gift that won't add clutter to a home or be returned?
Here's a list of meaningful gift ideas for anyone on your list. While I've got Christmas on my mind now, these gifts could be given year round. Some of them require more time and effort than others, but they're all affordable, show a little thought, and are sure to be loved by anyone who may receive them!
1. Creative Photo GiftsPhotos are the perfect way to capture life, and what better way to celebrate someone than celebrating life with them in it? If you're like me, you've got tons and tons of pictures, but you don't always want to print all of them. Problem solved with amazing photos gifts to show them off in creative ways: ornaments, canvases, and more. I'm loving anything photo transfer right now, like these super cute transfer ornaments from Landeelu.
There's also my personal favorite: a photo map. If you've got lots of photos with your favorite travel buddy, you can make a big map like the one I made in the pin below. Here's how I made it. If you don't have quite so many photos, you could still find some for places you first met, a hometown, where you got married, or where you went to college- then create something cute.
2. A Heartfelt VideoThis can work really well for birthdays or special events like graduations, but you could easily come up with an awesome video gift for any event. For my hubby's 25th, I made him this video with footage from 25 friends and family members who shared memories and what people love about him. (Excuse the lovey dovey beginning.) Just send a Facebook or text message out, have them send you their footage, and use iMovie to compile.
If you've got a "words of affirmation" gift recipient, then this is one of the best gifts you could ever give! Even if it's just you saying something you normally wouldn't, or maybe you can't be at a holiday event this year, videos can be the perfect way for someone to feel your presence (and they also capture your words and face, making them timeless)!
I also really love the 1 Second Every Day App. You could take video footage (one second every day), and then compile a video at the end of the year (perfect for Christmas next year) where you could show your special someone a video memory of your entire year together! Totally worth the $2.99 on iTunes. I have one from last year and I can watch all the months tick by in less than 6 minutes. Can you imagine having an entire decade on video- and you can watch it in less than an hour?
3. An Activity to Do or Enjoy Later On (Maybe Even Together)Some of my very favorite gifts have been tickets to concerts, events, or games. These are the best because they aren't over once a holiday is over- there's still something to look forward to. I seriously will never buy myself a massage, but if someone gives me a gift certificate for one? Best day ever. Remember, these events don't have to be pricey! Board games could even count as an "activity to enjoy". I love to start my initial search with Groupon and scan the "things to do" list for our area. I mean, who wouldn't enjoy a little bubble soccer, wine tasting, or acting like a kid at an trampoline park?
4. A Surprise Night OutIf you've got a surprise lover on your list, then you won't find a more meaningful gift than a planned night out (bonus points if you can keep where you're going a secret). My hubby and I try to do this for our birthdays and for special date nights every few months. It can be as simple as reservations at a new restaurant followed by walking around a new part of town. What means the most to those quality time lovers is the gift of uninterrupted time with you that they get to enjoy (without even having to plan it!). Here are a bunch of ideas from my most popular post ever, Why I'm Still Dating my Husband.
5. A Celebration of a MemorySome of our very favorite gifts are ones that take us back to a special time or a special place. They help us celebrate, commemorate, or reminisce about a happy day or a silly event. For those nostalgic gift lovers in your life, consider the gift of your own words, the memories of others, or maybe even finding something that's collecting dust and turning it into a fun way to remember something special. I love these t-shirt canvases, and they would be a super easy way to turn a bunch of t-shirts that never get worn into fun memories and home decor at the same time.
I also love these super cute coasters. What a fun way to remember and celebrate a vacation or an amazing adventure you've shared. A thoughtful gift for anyone.
You could also try something like Sue at Home did with her 40 Envelopes with 40 Memories for a 40th Birthday.
Here's hoping that this list gets you a good jump on your next gift giving opportunity. I've found that the times I've stopped and taken the time to think about and put these plans into action have led to the most wonderful gifts I've ever given. Have questions? Need help pulling one of these gifts off? Let me know.
Did you know you can follow along with Currently, Kelsie on Facebook! Give us a like and join the community!